A Year in Review....A Look Back at 2014

It has been very long time since I have done a blog post. But, I have been looking over my blog recently and I have really enjoyed reading my yearly reviews here online. The blog has been the best record keeping tool I have used to document the daily comings and goings of my life. I missed doing one of these last year, but let's just say I was a little busy adjusting to the lifestyle change of being a first time mom. Last year at this time, my littleman was just about to pop his first teeth. He had rosy cheeks all the time and was drooling constantly. We had long nights and what felt like even longer days, as I was completely exhausted from supporting this little guy. So, I didn't have a chance to blog a yearly review. Over the past week, I have been thinking it is time to take back this blogging tradition.  I didn't want to walk away from it, so here it is my personal look back at 2014.

When I think of 2014, I am going to identify it as a "The Year of Firsts". In someways it was a year of starting over, as life we had known had   completely changed. Change can be a difficult thing to experience, as adjustments are made. As we celebrated the beginning of 2014, I knew it was going to be very different from any other year before. I had a little person, that I grew and gave birth to in 2013 who was going to be relying completely on me for all of his physical and social needs. 

2014 started with a bang. Not so much from the partying...but my little guy popped his very first teeth on New Years Day. Yes, not just one, but 2 and then four days later he popped his top two teeth. No wonder this little guy was suffering so dearly. It is truly the most difficult thing to experience...seeing a little person in pain and not knowing what they need and helping and comforting them the best we can through it. 

The year of firsts continued as I spent the next 8 months of 2014 on a maternity leave. It was truly an amazing time as my only responsibility was looking after my little man and celebrating many different firsts with him. This special time taught me that it is okay to slow down the pace of life and to let things go. I also learned to appreaciate and value the little things in life.  Sometimes that even meant housework...it takes a lot to give your full attention to another little person. I found that sometimes during my down time.  I would go get crafty or nap as a means to take care of my own personal well being. Taking that time made all the difference. 

There were so many different firsts including sitting up, crawling, first words, standing, and first steps. Then there were the first family occassions including my very first Mother's Day, Father's Day, and our very first family vacation at the end of June. I must say my year maternity leave is currently topping the list of memorable moments of my life.  The path or journey I experienced to motherhood may have been a difficult one, but now that I have this opportunity I have truly taken the time to appreaciate every moment whether they are the most challenging or touching. 

A big part of this experience are the many lessons I learned during this time. Appreaciate all experiences and your loved ones, take time to relax and enjoy the richness of what life has to offer. To be honest, I am not always sure I would stop to appreaciate what I already had, as the bulk of my life has been working towards major life goals. However, I feel like I am at a point where I need to enjoy these major life goals and take time to appreciate the little things that make each of our lives unique. I think this is why I took to Instagram. It has been a wonderful way to document the little life moments throughout the year whether they are crafty or family related. It shows the journey, as well as the current mental path I am on. I look forward to all the possibilities that 2015 has to offer.

My one little word that will always be in the back of my mind is to "Think Big" and "Appreaciate" what all the little things that come to mind.

Wishing much Health and Happiness for 2015!

Cheers! 
 

Comments